After an emotional loss to the Rockets, Charlotte Hornets guard LaMelo Ball opened up on his traumatic car crash at the post-conference ceremony. The accident happened on Wednesday in Uptown Charlotte when his GMC Hummer EV hit a gray Kia at the Trade and Tryon streets intersection.
Dashcam video showed the collision hit his Hummer, which lost a front wheel, but LaMelo walked away uninjured. The other driver had minor injuries and went to the hospital. Ball played against the Houston Rockets the next day, scoring 11 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists in a loss, and then talked to reporters after the game.
Hornets Star LaMelo Ball Views Crash as a Blessing
LaMelo Ball expressed that he feels lucky and thankful after the crash. In the postgame press conference, Ball called the accident “unfortunate.” He added, “Fortunately everybody is cool, so blessings. God is great.” He smiled a bit and focused on the fact that no one had been badly hurt.
LaMelo’s postgame press conference: reaction to crash, his play tonight and more. pic.twitter.com/1CfT3J9jPh
— Rod Boone (@rodboone) February 20, 2026
The Hornets coach Charles Lee added his opinion on the incident: “The first thing when you hear about any type of accident is you hope all parties involved are okay, they’re healthy and safe.”
LaMelo looked calm while he was responding to the reporter’s question and ready to move on. His prompt & quick answer showed he wanted to keep things positive and not go into details.
This is not the first time LaMelo Ball has drawn criticism for his driving in Charlotte. He is currently facing a civil lawsuit that claims he ran over an 11-year-old fan’s foot while leaving the Spectrum Center in October 2023, causing a broken bone.

In 2023 and 2024, social media videos also showed Ball speeding, running red lights, and driving recklessly near the arena. These repeated incidents brought public scrutiny well before his recent crash.
Melo Dodges Question on Leaving Accident Scene
When asked why he left the crash spot in a Lamborghini, Ball did not give a clear answer.
A reporter asked about leaving the scene right after the wreck. Ball said, “Nah, you gotta check in on that.” He did not explain more and moved on to the next question.
Video from the crash showed him getting out of the damaged Hummer and into a waiting Lamborghini that drove him away as police arrived.
Some fans called out the reporter for clickbait or pushing too hard on the crash questions during LaMelo’s postgame press conference. They felt the focus on “why he left the scene” was sensationalized instead of letting Ball move on.
Ball had to walk out of the press room when questions kept coming about the crash details. Hornets fans hope this stays as a one-time thing and Melo stays safe on and off the court.
Officers responded to the scene in Uptown Charlotte at Trade and Tryon streets shortly after the crash. As of February 20, 2026, CMPD has not said whether Ball or the other driver was cited.
